12 May 2010

Massive updates!

So I know that it has been a while since I last posted, but that just makes this post even more exciting! A lot has happened since the last post, most of it awesome, along with some mechanical problems long the way.

My First. My Last. ECCC 2010
This year was my first year of racing. Well, at least my first full year. It was awesome to spend it with the ECCC and my team mates here at Drexel.
Even though I twisted my ankle in a questionable semi-bike related accident and didn't really race until Yale, there is much that I have learned this year. From traveling with the team and being the team mom to running a good chunk of the Philly Phyler, there is still a lot more for me to learn. But only more racing can fix that, possibly more reading. Need to merge the two some how.
The fantastic year that I had is only a testament to the awesomeness of the ECCC. Every one that attends the races is friendly and keeps the light heartiness of racing alive. I look forward to working with the conference next year in some capacity. (Joe, fair warning you will be nagged post "graduation" about that.)

Army: Cold. Wet. Windy.
The Army 2 mile circuit race provide a nice challenge for me. While the awesome down hill that came right after the start line provide an awesome chance to stay with the pack for just a short while, the gradual incline on the second half of the course caused some problems, not to mention the cold weather. The incline was only to be followed by a wall that result in me basically not being able to pedal up it with out hitting the granny gear. Also, all who were watching should just ignore me when I yell for food. Just venting some anger and pain.
The afternoon provided some awesome race watching with the BU team while sitting on the wall that I could barely get up. Some of the excitement that ensued included:

  • dollar primes
  • slow motion crashes (pretty interesting to watch)
  • PB&J sandwich hand off straight to the mouth
Sunday included getting lost in West Point. Honestly, we were making an effort to make it there. Really were, just wasn't going to happen. Plus I was missing a chain ring bolt and my ankle was bothering me. I wanted to save the pain for the pleasure of racing in the crit. Next year, I will get my ECCC membership card.
The crit was a nice short loop around one of Army's practice field's down on the river. There were tight corners and fierce head winds. Awesome. Started out strong. Top 15 strong. Quite happy about that. Coming around turn 2, went in to a sprint to pick up some speed and POP. Chain snapped. That is end of me even thinking of staying with the field. The rest of the day was spent avoiding studying for my chemistry exam.

Dartmouth: Mohawks. Collaboration. Finally.
Dartmouth hosted an awesome race weekend to close out the season. They even booked some awesome weather for us. Mid-upper 60's, couldn't have asked for any better. Also: the minivan the team rented was awesome!
The time trial was a collaborative effort between BU and Drexel. Mainly because BU only had one D rider and we had 3. We started off strong and it only went down hill from there. Chat and I ended up dropping off the back and Rob and Brendan finish not last. Awesome job guys!
For the crit, let's just say that I was really early then some how late (basically officials can't tell time). Ended up spending most of the first lap play catch up and sprinting parts of it. Drained all my energy and rode the rest of my laps alone. I will make it around for at least a lap one of these days.
The road race was beautiful. The Vermont landscape is just in-creditable to ride along. But as usual, the ride was riddled with some sort of mechanical mishaps. Shifting problem. Cleat problems. Completed only 23 of the 36 miles, but had fun doing it.
Basically it was an awesome weekend to end the season, and I going to miss racing in the ECCC until I decide whether I heading to grad school or not. ECCC racing just might help me decide.

Coaching: Try and knock me over!
After a little taste of helping with the NBW/Cadence cycling team, this year I decided to give it a shot. I didn't get my own team, but I continued to help Tim with the NBW team. They are a great group of riders with pure amounts of energy.
This last weekend, Victoria called me asking me if I could fill in for another coach that was in a nasty bike accident. While the though of a bike accident gets me in the gut, I was happy to start to help with the West Popular/Kensington group.
Had my first ride with them today in the cold, border line rainy conditions. They are also a great group of riders and I can't wait to continue to work with them over the summer.
If any one has any good ideas for activities for the kids, please let me know. Always up for trying some thing new!

General Ride: Death.
It has been hard to find time to go for general rides lately because of school, but when I find the time I go all the way. Did an epic ride with Joe the other weekend. Let's just say that I was glad to be able to stand and walk up stairs after it. It was pretty difficult. Lots of hills. But hey, only going to get better going up them. Will have to hit some of them soon again including the cobble stone hill.
Also went for a ride to my parents house in West Chester. It is an awesome ride out. Lots of rolling hills and about 30 miles one way.  This ride can only be described in bullet points:
  • had to true my back wheel twice. For some reason my spokes just didn't want to stay tight. Need to take it to a bike shop ASAP for that.
  • had flats with in a quarter mile of each other, using up all my spare tubes! Luckly, I was only a quick .6 mile walk from Performance in Paloi, only to walk out with a new helmet for my friend and new tires!
  • The head winds were crazy. Gusts everywhere! There were points where the wind would have knock me over if I hadn't lean over so far.
  • The end of the ride had chicken fried steak at the other end. Really what kept us going for a bit.
Other Races
So, got my CAT4 so my racing options have opened up a bit. Going to hit up the West Chester Twilight Criterium which should be pretty awesome. I also joined QCW and hope to be hitting up some races with them this summer, when I have the time. If any one is going to a CAT4 race, let me know! I may want to join you.

Happy Riding!

No comments:

Post a Comment